View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 9:06 PM

Charlottetown airport traffic continues to soar
EDITORIAL STAFF
The Guardian

The Charlottetown Airport Authority has experienced one of its busiest months ever recorded with 34,671 passengers arriving and leaving in the month of July.
July passenger traffic increased by 16.9 per cent overall compared to 2006 and the traffic to the airport is up to 12 per cent total year to date. The continued strong growth is impressive on the heels of 2006, a record-breaking year for passengers flying to P.E.I.
“Obviously, we are really pleased,” said airport CEO Doug Newson.
“Thanks to the demand of the travelling public, the support of the provincial government and to our air carrier partners who are expanding service to meet the growing demand; more and more people continue to fly to P.E.I. It is great for the P.E.I. tourism industry.”
He said there is a worldwide increase in air travel and with the number of destinations
growing, P.E.I. is well ahead of regional, national and world growth rates.
All of the airlines servicing P.E.I., including Delta, with daily direct service to Boston, appear to be busy, said Newson.
“It is great to see so many people flying to our province,” said Premier Robert Ghiz.
“One of the very first initiatives of our new government was to meet with the airport authority and Air Canada and discuss the need for more service. We commend Air Canada and all the airlines for continuing to offer more service, and Islanders and visitors for using those services. Improved air access and travel is a win-win for all.”
The Charlottetown Airport Authority has direct flights each day to destinations including: Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, Detroit and Boston.