View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 2:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
That seems very judgemental and condescending wrt the immigrant experience. I'm not sure where you're going with it. I think it's well recognized that immigrant communities begin to diverge from the "old country" from the moment they arrive in Canada (just as did the old stock communities from France and the UK - are they also "subpar pastiches"?). That's probably less true in an age of easy air travel than it used to be, but it seems inevitable. That, however, in no way makes the "hypenated Canadian culture(s)" any less valid or worthy.
Culture is both a personal and collective thing. Sometimes a distinction needs to be made between the two.

I live in Quebec but am of Acadian and Franco-Ontarian origin with a not-insignificant anglo dimension to my persona, even if I am francophone.

This is me and it's as legitimate a way of being as any other. But that doesn't mean that the Québécois-Acadien-Franco-Ontarien-Gatinois-(anglo-familiar) culture exists out there in the broader context to any significant degree. Nor that it ever will.