View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nergie View Post
This is another stupid arguement, as an American I am damn proud of NYC and Chicago. They set the bar for skylines, now depending on your opinion this may no longer be the case. I have been fortunate to see many Skylines in person and my ranking is as follows:

Chicago
HK
NYC
Singapore/Toronto/Sydney/Melbourne
Dubai

But they are all very cool, Shanghi is growing on me as is Guangzhou. But there is something still incomplete about China. I travel off the beaten track and its like I am in the sticks. I am sure it will change.

Bottomline, my opinion is most likely different that yours, but hey that dosen't make it any better or worst than your opinion. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I am just glad I have been able to see all these places in person. To see the sunset from the Harbour Bridge, or Vancouver from Grouse Mtn at sunrise make it worth the long flights and time away from home.

Cheers!
I don't see what's stupid about my argument. I am American as well and I am proud of NYC and Chicago too; I'm not ATTACKING them. Did you see my top 5?

1. HK
2. Chicago
3. NY
4. Shanghai
5. Sydney

My argument isn't stupid- it made complete sense. PJ's opinion is fine had he presented it effectively. If you are going to make a controversial statement (he claimed NY + Chicago = the only two skylines that mattered in the WORLD...) then at least back it up with good evidence/reasoning of why you hold that opinion. He didn't. He basically dissed all the other cities and just said, "Yeah, it's my opinion that NY+Chicago is all that matters". Hostile? Yes. I got the same feeling from his post as Phil did.

That said, I still love NY and Chicago's skylines. See my list? #2 and #3. No one is saying they are bad, but I at least stated my reasons for why I liked HK better whereas PJ's "reasons" were posted by Wrabbit after the fact.