View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 5:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ Well Diversey has many of the same elements except for the wasteland around Elston. Mainly I just want to see Diversey and Belmont "blossom" like that all the way to Pulaski. My favorite part about those streets is that they aren't just repairing damaged urban fabric as many infill projects are, but rather jacking up the density from older SFH or purely commercial storefronts. So they are creating brand new urban fabric. This kind of development gives me hope that one day they will run out of spaces on the North and NW side to develop and will begin to tackle the bombed out areas on the South and West sides and restore the city to it's 1920's glory.

PS: Demolition on the El Centro project has just about wrapped up with the exception of the removal of the floor slabs, looks like they were beginning to attack the old loading docks today.
Jeez you are awfully optimistic today. Is it the sun or did you get laid last night. j/k

I hope you are right re the south and west sides. JUst think that areas like the Garfields, the Englewoods and the lawndales all had density levels as high or higher than most of the north lakefront currently does back in the 1920's-1960 period. And there was income density to boot.....more important that simple pop. density.

I cry when I think of how 63rd street used to be or madison near crawford (pulaski)......the horror; the horror.

I don't share your optimism but hope I am wrong