View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
IMO Sask is currently benefiting more from return homers from Alberta than anything else. This will likely slow down considerably after a few short years. After that they will need to increase international migrants, there are only so many expats that will be in a position to move back home.

Manitoba gets a lot a international immigrants due to the nominee program, and I would imagine its at a substantially higher percentage per capita than Sask. I think that as long as this program remains successful it will set up Manitoba for steady growth long term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
^ I can't argue with that. Although, doesn't this suggest otherwise?
Taken from the Star Phoenix

"Saskatchewan growth rate of 0.47 per cent in the past three months was second only to British Columbia among Canadian provinces. The growth was spurred by a natural increase (births minus deaths) of 1,495, net interprovincial migration of 823 (AKA Alberta, mostly) and net international migration of 2,527."
I'm sorry, but I'm confused. You're saying Sask's growth is mainly contributed to an influx of Saskatchewan 'expats' from Alberta?
Like I previously questioned, doesn't the quote above by Statistics Canada completely contradict that? I'm no expert in statistics, so please correct me if I am misinterpreting them.
I'm just unaware why you and ILYR are seemingly trying to disregard Sask's growth as nothing more than Sask expats, whereas Manitoba has some phenomenal international immigrant wave taking over. I think both provinces are growing in similar patterns. That's just what I've gathered from looking at the statistics, anyway. Sorry if I'm coming across brash, it's not my intention.