View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post
K so I've updated my Transit Metropolis Vancouver concept. It's version 2.0!

It uses a combination of SkyTrain, LRT, Commuter Rail, and Streetcars. I also wanted to put in aerial trams, ferries, and some bus routes, but they aren't included here yet. I guess that'll be version 3!!!
The light rail network looks nice, but for the street car.. did you take into consideration about their operation, like maintenance, repair, storage, and spare? The plan you have doesn't seems to be able to operate efficiently. The network scattered all over metro Vancouver, and since streetcars can't goes off the track/wire, there are a lot of connecting tracks needed to link the network up... or up to 17 depots are needed (Vancouver, Surrey, Ladner, North Vancouver, Horseshoe Bay, Richmond, North Burnaby, Lougheed Mall, Port Moody, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Surrey Central, White Rock, Langley, and Fort Langley). And even with all the depots, the Horseshoe Bay and Pitt Meadows line, for example, require a separate group of workers to run the line with 1 train and 1 spare... and what if both trains are out of service...

Another issue I've found is.. why are the street car routes so short? Short routes mean more transfers (as if we doesn't have enough already). Unless the bus route are still there that duplicate the service, from what I see, going from Cloverdale to Willowbrook needs streetcar -> light rail -> streetcar (single bus ride on #320, #395, #C70 now, and #364 next year). Similarly, to get from Port Coquitlam downtown to Port Moody, you need streetcar -> light rail -> skytrain (single bus ride on #160 now). I would suggest linking the Port Moody line to Coquitlam via New Port village and Guildford, then to Port Coquitlam via Lougheed (like the current 160 peak hours routing).

And also, I know the bus routes isn't out yet, but why aren't Granville and Cambie(?) line go all the way to Marine Drive. Is there trolley route that run along side with the streetcar, or another short route that continue from where the streetcar left off, or no service at all? I remembered there was a short bus route #109 that connect Brentwood Mall to trolley #9 at Boundary loop, where a single bus going back and forth along Lougheed Highway all day. Translink ended up dropping that route because its inefficient.

Last edited by nname; Sep 28, 2008 at 9:23 AM.