View Single Post
Old Posted May 7, 2007, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by look View Post
What's the problem? How many of today American citizens are descendants of people who revolted against England in 1776? USA is the best example that immigration doesn't really hurts the destination country.
The "issue" for me is that Germany is changing to a multicultural society, (which is completely necessary for prosperity), but I feel a loss of cultural heritage.

For me it's personal stuff, like the fact that it's getting difficult to find good German food in major cities (German food is "uncool" for German natives and immigrants generally open their own places) or that German values of tidiness, punctuality, etc. are disapperaing.

The end result is that Germany is as prosperous as ever, but feels almost indistinguishable from the U.S., the U.K., or wherever. Globalization makes all places seem a little less unique.

I'm selfishly a little happy that Southern and Eastern Europe are (so far) not as multicultural. I would hate for Naples to feel like an indistinct mix of peoples (like current Frankfurt or Rotterdam). At that point, I feel I might as well stay here in Brooklyn because everywhere else is pretty much the same.