View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 1:53 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

I'm not sure what the population is here in Portland but my guess is that it is no larger than 1,000-2,000.

Anyhow, there are many brasileiros in Honolulu in the North Shore area and areas near Waikiki (many hang out in an area near Queens Beach). There's also a Brazilian Cultural Center, local Weekly TV and radio shows, futevolei club, soccer clubs, consulate, festivals/parades, bands, church, etc. There's also a rapid growing community on Maui.

I'm not sure of the exact numbers in Hawaii because they often blend in with the local Portuguese population as there are thousands (+60,000) of descendents from Portugal and Cape Verde. However, I do know that many have arrived illegally (or overstay visas) because they've been among the many in recent years being deported along with other South & Central Americans and Europeans in the state working in construction, retail or hospitality.

This pic is of one of the popular spots near Waikiki that they hang out.

Anyway, the majority that do migrate to the U.S. settle in New York, Miami, and Boston. There are many that migrate to other places of course but the overwhelming majority choose the three I just mentioned. They also do secondary migrations because i've known two families personally that started off in New York before finally settling in Hawaii and that's not unusual nationally.