Thread: 100 Strangers
View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 5:08 PM
3rd Coast King

Kayla/Buster - 100 strangers: 08/100 by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Everyone meet Kayla/Buster.

On Thursday July 7th 2011 I attended my very last class, and I mean VERY LAST class, for my college work towards my bachelors degree in Finance degree! So I decided I was very much entitled to much needed cold beer and some time to go take photos. So I headed down the street towards Molly's Pub snapping shots with my Sigma 70-210 f2.8 APO along the way.

So I'm heading down the street and don't even make it a whole block before I bump into someone. Like I said before, "Sometimes this project is too easy for me."

I run into Kayla and her friend Kelly. Kayla had stopped me to see if she could bum a lighter to light a smoke. So having a lighter ready at hand I tell her yes. Then I ask if she would like to participate in my project and she say yes. After she said yes she asked what my project actually was. So I'm already surprised at her willingness because most people I have to explain the project to first before they agree. But I tell her about the stranger project and she thought it was cool.

First question was, "Whats your name?" Which she replied was Buster. Not looking much like a Buster I ask it if her real name. So she tells me her real name is Kayla. So of course I had to ask, "Where did Buster come from?" Apparently it was a nickname from her days of wrestling. She said she was good too. I would imagine with a nickname like Buster she'd have a forte at slamming people on the mat.

So then I ask about her friend Kelly and their relation. Kayla said they were just friends. And I talked to both of them for a minute. They had just got into town. Kayla was originally from Beaumont and her friend Kelly is a Houston native but has lived all over. Literally too many places to name. They said they were just on an adventure roaming downtown. I mentioned to them that if they were hungry they should go hit up the new Niko Niko's stand in the park a block away because they make awesome gyros. Then Kelly tells me that typically when he would come downtown he would hit up the Irish pub down the street. I laugh because that was exactly where I was heading at the moment. What can I say except great minds think alike.

Thank you Kayla and Kelly. You're both great people and it was nice to meet you.

Some specs on the picture. Taken with my Sony Alpha 200 and Sigma 70-210 f2.8 APO with postprocessing in photoshop CS4. I also cropped the original because I didnt like all the open space.

This picture is #08in my 100 strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the 100 Strangers Flickr Group page

Kayla First Take by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Kayla and Kelly by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

kayla fullframe by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

My Book