View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 12:02 PM

Speaking of Mountain View:

Google’s massive housing and office plan wins approval

Quote:
Mountain View City Council Tuesday night unanimously approved a sweeping redevelopment plan, clearing the way for Google and other developers to create a dense, city-like campus of offices and homes in a housing-starving region.

The new master plan could reshape North Bayshore, home to Google headquarters, into the most ambitious new development in the Bay Area with nearly 10,000 new homes and apartments, about 3.6 million square feet of office space, and a mix of pedestrian-friendly parks, retail shops and businesses.

Planners envision a redevelopment of the North Bayshore office park into a collection of office buildings, retail shops and entertainment, and three new neighborhoods called Joaquin, Shorebird and Pear. About 150 acres of the project are dedicated to residential development — including single family homes and apartments.

The city will allow up to 9,850 new housing units, with 70 percent targeted for studio or one-bedroom apartments. It also sets a goal to have 20 percent of the apartments be affordable units.

The plan calls for transforming the suburban office park filled with Google employees into a high-density, mixed-used district. Buildings are expected to be taller — up to 8 stories for offices and 15 stories for residential units — and friendlier to pedestrians, cyclists and public transit.
Fifteen stories in Mountain View? I never thought I'd see the day. I hope this isn't a typo. Out of all the cities on the Peninsula, Mountain View (along with RWC) really is leading the charge in adding new housing.