View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 9:05 AM

^^ Yeah, that's B.I.G.

Piggybacking on your link:
Quote:
Colorado beat out South Carolina for the jobs, officials said.

EDC members were effusive in their praise for the work that company and city officials did to land the campus. Commissioner Chuck Murphy, who is from El Paso County, called it a "dream come true for Colorado Springs and southern Colorado."

Sierra Nevada officials noted also that their facility will be one of only a few aircraft completion centers in the U.S. capable of accommodating the Airbus A350 and the Boeing 747 and 787, which are among the largest wide-body aircraft in the world.
I'm really, really impressed with this win. One more quote:
Quote:
Colorado's landing of the campus is important both for the direct economic impact and because the size of the effort is likely to attract supplier companies to the area as well, said Michelle Hadwiger, director of corporate development at the Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade.
I'm mid-way through reading a 20 page Executive Summary for what Arizona hopes to be a new winning strategy. It was a collaborative effort with he Brookings Institution Metropolitan Policy Program; RW Ventures of Chicago; and Stanford Research Institute International, a globally recognized research and commercialization firm. Still, in some respects it feels like Arizona is two decades behind Colorado, which is not to say they can't play catchup over time.

I'm almost surprised that Arizona wasn't considered... or maybe they were along with several other states that got a look-see but didn't make the cuts. Arizona actually has more aerospace/defense workers than Colorado but not by a lot as this sector has shrunken quite a bit, especially as Honeywell has moved jobs to Mexico and Eastern Europe, for example.

Certainly not as impressive as South Carolina winning the new Boeing production facility but this could become the nexus for a nice industry cluster, hopefully. What's good for Co. Springs is good for the State and for Denver as the financial/sports/transportation and cultural center of the state.