View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

not a Maritime CFL story, but a neat one nonetheless

Patriots' Gronkowski visits Miramichi school

Rob Gronkowski went to class at Nelson Rural School on Wednesday
CBC News Posted: Apr 12, 2012 6:50 AM AT Last Updated: Apr 12, 2012 7:17 AM AT

Miramichi is recovering from a bit of football fever after New England Patriots star tight end Rob Gronkowski made a trip to a northern New Brunswick school.

Staff and students at Nelson Rural School welcomed the six-foot-six, 258-pound tight end to class on Wednesday.

Gronkowski made the trip from Boston after Grade 8 student Alex Allain won an online contest to bring a National Football League star to school for the day.

“The first thing I thought was, 'Wow he's tall.' And I couldn't believe that was happening and I was just freaking out,” Allain said.

Gronkowski is used to playing in front of fans at sold-out NFL stadiums, including the 2011 Super Bowl.

But the star tight end said he was surprised when he received a hero’s welcome from a packed gymnasium.

“It's just wild that there's so many Pats fans up here and this is all the way up here in Canada,” he said.

“We're about a three-hour plane flight away, so it's a pleasure though.”

Gronkowski has several NFL records to his credit. In the 2011 season, he became the tight end to lead the league in receiving touchdowns and he had the most receiving yards by a tight end in a season with 1,327.

The Patriots' star didn't spend the entire time signing autographs. He also helped out with gym class, as part of Play 60, the NFL’s active lifestyles and anti-bullying initiative.

When Gronkowski left Nelson Rural School, he left behind several pieces of equipment, including dozens of footballs.