View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBuildings888 View Post
The more I look at the Salesforce Tower, the more I like it. Especially at night. BTW, some of those low rise buildings nearby maybe should be torn down to build high rise buildings. I know they are occupied with businesses right now, but I would just like to see them replaced with high rise buildings. Wouldn’t it be great if some developer decides to build another 1k+ foot tall building in this district?
Again and again and again people bash "those low rise buildings nearby" aka Foundry Square because they don't "get" San Francisco development. This project won high praise from a variety of architectural and land use think tanks when it was proposed and built and is still doing so. Specifically among the things the Planning Dept. liked about it was the height because it sits on the south side of the future Transit Terminal Park and would have shaded a substantial park of the park if built taller as, even then, zoing would have permitted. As things are, it does not do so and preserves views from the park as well as being, by itself, high quality architecture that is credited with enlivening a formerly uninspiring corner of SOMA. It isn't going anywhere.

Urban Land Institute in naming Foundry Square a winner in its "commercial category":

https://casestudies.uli.org/wp-conte...Square-PDF.pdf