View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:22 PM

I remember being there as a kid, and it was the highlight of my French trips : so romanesque, so many castles, caves, untouched medieval villages, and the setting... with these golden cliffs, dark forests and curving rivers. the Dordogne is knowned as the most beautiful river in France. and the food!! I am still fascinated by Périgord. thanks for the pics.

the best view of the area was from the little town of Domme.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1215220...th/2168483939/

“Actually it must have been a paradise for many thousands of years. I believe it must have been so for the Cro-Magnon man, despite the fossilized evidences of the great caves which point to a condition of life rather bewildering and terrifying. I believe that the Cro-Magnon man settled here because he was extremely intelligent and had a highly developed sense of beauty. I believe that in him the religious sense was already highly developed and that it flourished here even if he lived like an animal in the depths of the caves. I believe that this great peaceful region of France will always be a sacred spot for man and that when the cities have killed off the poets this will be the refuge and the cradle of the poets to come. I repeat, it was most important for me to have seen the Dordogne: it gives me hope for the future of the race, for the future of the earth itself. France may one day exist no more, but the Dordogne will live on just as dreams live on and nourish the souls of men.”

Henry Miller, 1958, in 'The Colossus of Maroussi'