Thread: Old Halifax
View Single Post
Old Posted May 23, 2019, 9:56 PM

Thanks as always, ns_kid. I saw the March 26 date elsewhere as well, so I suspect you are correct. I presumed that the Herald had archived notes with the photos, but who knows how organized their archives are, or how astute the attendants of the archives are. I suspect not so much.

I'd love to have an opportunity to rummage through their photo archives, but I imagine that is not something available to the public. It appears that they are (rightfully) holding onto their archives as an asset, which is understandable given the state of the print media industry these days, but my god I imagine they have a wealth of photos and information that could greatly benefit historians and history buffs from Halifax alike!

IMHO, in a perfect world the city and/or the province and the feds would make them a fair offer for their archives as historical artifacts, and then make them available online for citizens to benefit from. It would surely be a huge task, but worthwhile to my way of thinking. It would also be a way to ensure they don't end up in the landfill should the Herald suffer bankruptcy or be bought out by a larger company that gives the order to trash all the old stuff. It has happened to other organizations in the past...