View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 6:35 AM

While trying to gather more information on the South Pasadena Masons, I happened upon this photograph of the Cawston Ostrich Farm float from the 'Prosperity Parade' of 1908.

south pasadena public library

I'm guessing the photo was taken in South Pasadena somewhere near the farm. -but the actual parade took place in downtown Los Angeles.

The best clue, as far as I can tell, is the name of the winery in the background on the left. --there's a lumber yard beyond that (it appears to be on both sides of the street)

here's a closer look

It says...

G. DEMATEIS WINERY

but I need help with the two words to the right of G. Demateis ---->

luckily there's also a street number....627

Back in Sept. 2015, FW posted this great photograph of a different float from the Prosperity Parade. (he even figured out the location of his photo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

The Neuner Company ("stationers, printers, and bookbinders" at 113-115 S. Broadway according to the
1908 LA City Directory) entered this float in the Prosperity Parade held in Los Angeles on Wednesday,
November 18, 1908. This enlarged view looks at the NW corner of 1st and Hill, with a little of the Highland
Villa and its sign visible in the background. The costumed printer's devils on the float are a clever touch:

UCLA -- ucla
FW's complete post is HERE. (including information on the Highland Villa that appears in the backgound)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 20, 2017 at 8:10 PM.