View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 6:37 AM

I live in Portsmouth and I own my house there; near the corner of Union & Yonge.

The commercial strip of the village is doing okay.. some new places have opened lately. There's some intensification activity and the long-term redevelopment of the waterfront could be a game-changer.

Student tenants from Queen's are surprisingly well-available here, despite the relative distance from the university's main campus; lots of education students as the education faculty is in Portsmouth and some students are attracted to the area as it provides some quiet isolation from the party-heavy atmosphere of the main student district, yet still easily accessible to the main campus and the downtown core by transit. You'll actually get better quality tenants in Portsmouth for that reason.. as you can imagine, the types of students that choose to live outside party-central make for less problematic tenants.

If you have space to rent and you're looking for cash flow, I'd say Portsmouth Village is a great investment. Properties are cheap yet potential rental revenues are high. For appreciation... I dunno. It's a crapshoot, really. I wouldn't bet on a big increase but it could happen.