View Single Post
Old Posted May 3, 2018, 9:49 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I'd mentioned that it look like they moved one of the high-rises, which pretty much shows this isn't new stuff. I don't even think I implied this was "new."

I'm not quite a skeptical given all that's already been built. While I don't like parking garages, it opens up all of their surface lots for development. We won't ever have any easy go of things until there is a much strong mass-transit system in place.

This is really not the Olympia of the 90's or even the early 00's. If nothing else was built, tomorrow, it's already more than they ever did with their idea of "Foxtown." Long-term plans - which these have always been - will change as the market changes. Plans should change as demand warrants. I was actually kind of surprised how much residential they've originally proposed given how many other developers had gotten a head start on construction in the area.

All in all, I'm fairly satisfied. More than what it says about Olympia it shows that there is demand whereas nearly anything had to be forced or compelled in the past. I gave up on reflexive Ilitch bashing quite a while ago. I'd have been content had they just built the arena and left the peripheral stuff to the other developers in the area. Olympia doesn't really do housing, anyway, thank god.