View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Man, it's taking every ounce of self-control I have to stay out of this debate...

I don't give a rats ass about ideology but it annoys me to no end when people call Trump stupid or crazy. The man single handedly out-maneuvered the Democrats, Republicans and the big media organizations. People a lot smarter than me (hedge fund managers I'm familiar with) predicted he would win one year ago, when every other armchair analyst called him a longshot including me. Meanwhile, these people who not only predicted his win but made a bag of money on their predictions (shorting the Mexican peso and various Mexican indexes) also took the time to break down why they thought he would win. What I gathered from all this was that the man is a marketing genius. What people think of as crazy is him using extreme statements alongside balanced ideas to get his message out into the media (for free). Hillary (a war criminal who made catastrophic blunders in the Middle East, such as funding the groups that eventually merged to create ISIS) spent over a hundred million on campaign ads, Trump spent a few thousand. The free advertising he received was worth hundreds of millions and it worked. The man is smarter than most of the dumb pundits insulting him will ever be. You don't have to like his policies but calling him dumb and crazy is more reflective of the faculties of those making such statements.
I'm the furthest thing from a Trump fan but I see some truth in those statements. I disagree with his approach, and have enormous issues with his disrespect of the press, his brash/rude demeanour, no consideration for factual information or science (Trump does live in his own world). He really does make it up as he goes along. I can't stand how he used minorities and hate to prop up a base to propel him into power. Nobody knows how the next 4 years will play out. I hope much better then my worst fears....

HOWEVER.... the man is no dummy. He knows how to get what he wants and he out played everyone in that election. As much as I do not like him, there is a small element of respect I give him for that. He's not stupid, he's actually very smart with marketing and jumping on an opportunity. I just hope he uses reason when governing.

Last edited by travis3000; Jan 14, 2017 at 2:59 AM.