View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Well, now we're talking about colours on a silly map that suggests that St. Louis is in the same "region" as Toronto, so these are all grains of salt.
Yeah, obviously. I didn't make that map, I was merely answering your question.

Quote:
While it's clear that southern Ontario has always been a vital economic cog in the midwest/Great Lakes region, it's pretty far-fetched to think of Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec City as part of the Bos-Wash corridor aka Northeast.

If anything, as part of the Quebec-Windsor corridor it would make more sense to link Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec City up to southern Ontario and by extension the Great Lakes region than it would be to included it as part of the northeast.
Agreed. BTW, as you might have noticed on the previous page, I have been openly criticizing that map (as have others).

In a continental context, it sure doesn't make sense to place a region border between Quebec City and Montreal; it doesn't make sense to place a region border between Montreal and Ottawa-Gatineau; it doesn't make sense to place a region border between Ottawa and Toronto; it doesn't make sense to place a region border between Toronto and London; it doesn't make sense to place a region border between London and Windsor.

It could make sense to place one between Windsor and Detroit, though.

However, the Appalachians are a slightly more natural "border" for separating regions, as you point out, which would mean, as you said, that all of southern Quebec would get lumped with the faraway U.S. Midwest rather than with New England just next door, if we have to pick.

We still run into problems because you have places like Plattsburgh and Burlington which are both guaranteed to be "U.S. Northeast" regionally, yet they are somewhat within Montreal's orbit, so, that's a grey zone overlapping "Great Lakes (QC-Windsor corridor)" and "Northeast" there.

Though now that I've typed this, there's an even more obvious grey zone within New York State which is certainly itself a continuum between "squarely Great Lakes" in its westernmost parts and "squarely Northeast/BosWash" in its extreme southeastern parts. Basically, these two so-called megaregions inevitably have some vaguely-defined contact areas where they touch or overlap.