View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I then rode over to Riverwalk and saw that as Wooster mentioned phase III by Fort Calgary is now fenced off to begin construction. Which got me to thinking, the quality of the pathway of Riverwalk makes the Eau Claire area and west just seem terrible in comparison. Are there any plans to eventually upgrade the pathways west of centre street to Riverwalk standards? I think it would be a real shame to not have the entire south bank continuous in the new design.
I really hope they upgrade the ENTIRE Riverwalk with a similar style and quality along the entire route to the west as far as Bowness Park and to the east/south all the way linking in to Fishcreek Park. I also want to see them improve the pathway along the Elbow River all the way to the south side of Glenmore Reservoir to the same standards with the same level of lighting and such.

Those two pathways then actually become truly usable bike transit routes that can be used safely by alot of people and that have adequate light at night. They are THE major arteries of the future bicycle transit route for this city and will always be the most used routes and link up to the "feeder" routes from local communities. Anyone using the pathway systems from almost anywhere in Calgary will end up on one of the two river pathways.

The third place they should then focus on and also improve to those standards is the Nosehill Creek Pathway system which is also another MAJOR artery for a huge portion of the city having bicycle access to the downtown core and the Bow River pathway.

It would be nice if in the long run from any community in this city you could access a bicycle pathway system built to the level of the Bow River Pathway system. Varsity Estates park is also another major artery to link the entire west/northwest section of the city including Varsity, Dalhousie, Edgemont, Hawkwood, Arbor Lake, Citadel, and Ranchlands.