View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I totally respect your preference, but there simply isn't an architectural historian of merit out there who would agree with you. Chicago is one of the birthplaces of the skyscraper (along with new York), and it's collection of prewar towers simply overwhelms Detroit in the numbers game, along with the historical importance arena. This thread isn't about who currently has the best looking prewar skyline, it's about the total collection of prewar towers. Think of it this way, if a young architect in Asia wanted to travel to the US to learn about prewar skyscrapers, would you honestly advise him to visit Detroit over Chicago?
Nope, my ranking isn't about advising young students or having historians agree with me, just my personal preference -- what I like, aesthetically speaking. I stated that at the end of my last post. I certainly recognize that Chicago wins on most criteria, but in terms of large skyscrapers the top-5 from Detroit simply capture my imagination more than the top-5 from Chicago. We having nothing quite like the Penobscot, Guardian, Book, Cadillac, Broderick, or Stott towers. Chicago has a vastly greater bench, but Detroit has a superior starting lineup.

Again, just my opinion.