View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 7:04 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I had heard it was similar to New Orleans architecturally in some ways, but I never imagined that it would be as picturesque as it is. It's not just the architecture... it's the combination of that, the tree-lined residential neighborhoods and the cobblestone that makes it exceptionally beautiful, which is not what I was expecting. As for why I wasn't expecting that, IDK.
Savannah is the perfect combination of built environment and natural environment, which is what really takes it over the top. Places like New Orleans and Charleston have the perfect built environment, but when those perfect urban areas were being built, no thought was given to leaving much room for trees and greenery.

Savannah, meanwhile, left room for green space and trees, which are essential for shade and cooling in such a hot climate. I've heard that Savannah's grid pattern, which left all that room for greenery, is perhaps the most intelligent grid pattern in the country, if not the world. The smarts that went into planning Savannah are what make it so special.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947