View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 2:06 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I've never been to any public meetings but I get a feeling part of the problem may be that the people who are opposed are very vocal about it but the people are supportive keep very quiet. Maybe us supporters needs to get to these meetings waving pompoms and chanting in support of these developments.
I've started to do just that, having been to the past two events related to downtown development. One thing that is great to see is that council has acknowledged and sort of designated the west-side of the harbour (near Fortis and Deacon) as the desired "development" area due to its location (bottom of Pitts Memorial). As far as I'm concerned, there is a lot down there that can go. Hopefully it happens, it'd be nice to see some modern condos along with the new office buildings, for example.

But yeah, these public hearings are great, and I've managed to make a point on both occasions about the need for development downtown. If anyone wants to attend the next one, I'll likely be there either way. Already I noticed a few very vocal anti-development types who were at both, so your statement is definitely valid.