View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:16 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
The comparisons to Miami/South Florida are equally superficial, if not more so. LA actually has way more in common with Houston than Miami.
How so? With LA and Miami, I'm looking at the multi-nodal nature of the metro, the urban-like beach culture compared to the inland suburban culture, the Latin influence, the African American influence in certain communities, and more so the dense streetcar suburb layout that makes up a good chunk of both cities and can be found in other towns in the metro areas.

I guess I can see similarities with Houston. Both it and LA have more diversity in people and economy and they both are the largest cities in the Sunbelt. But despite the new growth in townhouses( will will make it denser in the long run), Houston is not as cohesive like LA. It has lots of room to grow and took advantage of that historically. It's also newer in a sense of its urban growth. But in terms of built environment, LA and Southern California reminds me of South Florida more. Houston reminds me more of Dallas, New Orleans outside of the core, and most other Southern cities that are rising along with it.