View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:47 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
How so? With LA and Miami, I'm looking at the multi-nodal nature of the metro, the urban-like beach culture compared to the inland suburban culture, the Latin influence, the African American influence in certain communities, and more so the dense streetcar suburb layout that makes up a good chunk of both cities and can be found in other towns in the metro areas.
I don't agree with your observations.

Just about every major metro is "multinodal" to some degree (when will people actually come to this realization?); Miami-Dade County doesn't strike me as a stand-out metro in that regard. LA also isn't a true beach town even though it's been endlessly depicted as such in film and television. And LA's Latino culture is mostly Mexican/Central American, while Miami's is more Caribbean/South American. Warm-weather climate? There's a big difference between Mediterranean/dry and tropical/humid. Miami gets a ton of rainfall each year, while it "never rains in LA." One city has to deal with earthquakes/wildfires and the other hurricanes/floods.