Thread: Broken City
View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2009, 5:38 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
I'm so sick of this "everywhere is so much better than Calgary" mentality. Calgary is taking great strides to becoming a much more livable city. Just take a walk around the CBD/Beltine to experiece it in the making...Look at the plans for the East Village re-development, but also remember that things take time. Many cities would KILL to be in the situation we're in right now. I'm glad people have great trips, but remember when you're away, you almost always see things through rose coloured glasses.
Well it's true that when you're somewhere 'new' you probably don't notice the negatives. I agree with what you said about the historic building stock and the entertainment venues, I think both of those are huge, although you could probably mitigate the lesser historic stock with contemporary structures that have some of the same appeal.

One thing that's often said in Calgary is that if only more people lived downtown, things would pass that tipping point as was mentioned, but considering that Denver is surrounded by hundreds of blocks of mostly low rise apts or turn of the century single family, I'm thinking that many of the crowds have come *to* downtown, which translates into sort of a 'if you build it they will come' in the sense that if the right downtown attractions are present, people will come a distance to enjoy it. I guess what I'm sayig is density is good, but as we have seen in the West end, it alone will not create much. We need to make sure that attractions are incorporated into downtown as well.