View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 2:49 AM
Native New New Yorker

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Watch the businessmen leave Manhattan once the tax is reinstated....1.7 Million people commute into the city from the burbs and to another tax is ridiculous.... I don't see the tax coming back , since it was ruled unconstitutional.
See, what I find ridiculous is people who come into this city and utilize its infrastructure every single day complaining that they have to pay for any part of the infrastructure because they just happen, thanks to arbitrary, imaginary lines, to not actually reside inside the municipality from whence that infrastructure is run. How is that fair? Everyone in the Tri-State area, whether directly or indirectly, avails themselves of the services of the NYC government. Either they actually use the roads and bridges and commuter rail lines and Subways and bus lines, or they in some way benefit from all of the economic activity that fuels the entire region, which is made possible by the existence of all of that infrastructure.

I can't help but feel that this particular attitude is nothing more than an extension of New York City's endless and pointlessly bizarre feud with Trenton and Albany, especially after the ARC cancellation and Cuomo raiding the MTA transit lockbox again.