View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 9:19 PM

I'm really glad you brought this topic up, Okayyou! I was just thinking about this exact thing the other day while contemplating on what to do with my flickr stream.

I think it would be a very useful tool, if possible, to have this site include an image uploading host like Facebook, where we can have an Uploading Photos button in the Preview/Go Advanced option. That would be first and foremost. Currently The options in posting photos are limited to Flickr, Imgur, Imageshack, and the like, forcing you to either pay, sacrifice quality, or deal with any of the issues associated with Imageshack. Obviously linking photos using a bb code can remain an option, especially when quoting someone else's image in various other parts of the forum.

As for the organization of the threads in the Photography Forum, I like how it shows newest to oldest, but I do have a couple of issues concerning the search engine. First, when I'm searching for a specific city, I think it would be a good idea to rank the threads from most views to least. Secondly, I noticed that SkyScraperCity has an option to Tag your threads much like how you would tag an individual photo on flickr, but this site does not have that option. Being able to add tags onto the actual thread may also help to circulate exposure when "googling" for city photography.

As for actually increasing this website's exposure, I think the idea of the map might be a good idea. Where exactly would the map be located and how would it differ from Google Maps' setup? If its possible to have kind of like a Facebook Like/Dislike option added to the threads where you can see, aside from comments and views, how many people really enjoyed each thread, that may become very useful. Also, for those of us that use flickr as our image host, could adding a "Skyscrapercity" tag to our photos help at all? I know that when I just type in a generic search term like ' seattle city streets ', usually what comes up are Wikipedia, that city's crappy website, and the occasional City-Data, but rarely, if ever, do I see a site like this show up on the first 2 pages.

I definitely would like for this site to be a lot more popular because I find the ignorance of cityscapes to be overwhelming even though there are extremely useful sites such as this lurking around on the internet.