Thread: London Roads
View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
So Google fixed the Highbury Avenue N/S confusion, butfor some reason all of it is now labelled as part of "Ontario Hwy 126". Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but Highway 126 has been gone for more than 20 years. So where the HELL are these Google people getting their information? Are they all still using the 1987 Ontario Road Map, or do they just have some obsession with resurrecting dead highways?
When Google Maps first launched back in...2004, or whatever it was, they had Highway 126 marked on the map as if the highway still existed. It disappeared a number of years later. Highway 135 was also marked.

When I first started using Google MapMaker, they did have Highbury classified as "Ontario 126" internally, but only as an "obscure name". This means it was not supposed to show up on the map, but still be found in the right place should someone search for it. Obviously someone thought it would be funny to make it an active name that would show up.

I would really like to know where they get their information. Not one published map I've seen in the past 20 years has mentioned Highway 126, anywhere.

I might also add that I returned to MapMaker under a different name, but I've been focusing on Mexico City and some of the surrounding area. I'm running into the same problems there with the same Google Reviewers as I did in Ontario. There's a highway north of Mexico City, which is the principal alternative route to a toll freeway, which Google Maps had marked as a Minor Artery and with no highway number. The highway is part of the federal network, I personally drove it less than a month ago and can vouch for the highway number posted (132), and official government documents show it as such. I promoted the whole thing to a National Highway (particularly as Directions refused to use most of that route if trying to avoid the toll highway), but good old Google Reviewer Nancy (who has been responsible for some of the mess in London) went and changed everything without any explanation. Some of it was even changed to a Local Road. I've stepped away once again, after I reported Nancy's changes for abuse with some harsh words for Google. Google Maps is an absolute disaster in Mexico right now, and I basically told them that if they even want to compete with Bing Maps (which has a far more accurate map), they need to let people who know the area make changes without interference from people in California who have never been to the area.

If such a major highway is a combination of a Local Road and a Major Artery, I don't know how in hell London's Florence Street can be a National Highway.

I'm honestly starting to think that Google doesn't even care about its mapping product.