View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I was getting ready to be a PNY 64gb flash-drive at the store today, but it only listed Windows 7 and MAC as being compatible. Would it work with Windows Vista?
I imagine it would, but I wanted to be sure.
If it's the latest spec (USB 3.0), then there may not be any Vista drivers available. It should still work with on your system, but will not run at full speed (I'd guess that your computer only has USB 2.0 ports, so the new flash drives wouldn't run at full speed even if you installed Windows 7 or 8). I did a quick Google, and didn't find any warnings about using PNY flash drives with Vista.

Put simply: it should work, but don't expect to get the quoted transfer speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post

When my old computer started to go south on me a few years ago, I got the idea to increase the memory [that'll make it run better.]. I wasted several hundred dollars on that idea. The old PC just could not handle the added memory. I finally realized that I really needed a new computer and of course the system upgrade that came with the new PC.
Some computers are sold with an inadequate amount of memory to keep costs down, and I have seen many occasions where adding memory has made a huge difference. I wouldn't run Vista on less than 2GB of RAM, and 3GB is better (the most common version of Vista is 32-bit, so it won't recognize any more). Having space on your hard drive can also make a big difference to performance - maybe it's time to clear out some old junk!

Having said that, there will always be a day when there's no option other than to replace your old computer.