View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I think it is a disservice to the community NOT to have housing for all income levels.
You're right, and I think it's fine to have some housing without it to facilitate the need, such as the Cyan. I just wouldn't want to see it everywhere. Perhaps I came across a little too strong on my feelings for balconies!

Quote:
Most office towers don't have balconies and there are vibrant neighborhoods in the central city
I don't see the area around KOIN or the Wells Fargo, the Lloyd, etc.. as being vibrant neighborhoods. More to do with the fact that their isn't too much residential there, balconied or not! I'm also not saying that residential areas without balconies are lifeless. I just feel as though they add another layer of life.

Quote:
In fact, seeing people walk through the park, create a community garden, pick up trash...
You're right, but this doesn't mean that seeing people on their balconies, or growing gardens and plants on their balconies doesn't contribute life to the neighborhood as well. I just think it makes it that much better.

I guess with the Cyan, I question the extra expense on the decorative "weave concept", when perhaps this money could be spent on something that could be functional and lively as well. Perhaps I'm just tiring of the sleek and boring facades of modernism and am looking for any opportunity to provide something more to the building. I love the eastern facade of the Eliot, but I couldn't imagine a street lined with Cyans and Eliots. I think that would feel pretty lifeless.