View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 3:33 AM

I agree pdxf that too much monotony of any style kills a neighborhood. I think balconies add character to an overall neighborhood, but buildings without balconies add character too...such as you mention the front of the Eliot. I just think there are many people, like myself, who don't necessarily need a balcony to have additional pride in my neighborhood. In fact, not having a balcony caused me in my last apartment to spend many afternoons drinking and BBQing on the roof of a 12 story building with possibly the best view in town. If everyone in that building had their own balcony, that additional feeling of community you get from actually hanging with your neighbors would never have been found.

The area you mention around the KOIN tower is actually right around where I work. You'd be surprised the day time life in the area, however, the surplus of government buildings a full block auditorium and a couple large parking garages have caused the neighborhood to not fully develop. Hopefully First and Main and a new cladding on the federal building will help.

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Feb 6, 2008 at 4:05 PM.