View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
It is correct that the city biking advocates generally don't bike much and aren't particularly good at it but suck up 99% of the attention. There is a bike trail guy in my city who can't help but mug for the camera and tell and retell his story. I've never seen him photographed or filmed riding an actual bike.

These people poo-poo and are dismissive toward people who are good road bikers - the sort who don't care if there are bike lanes or not. They are oblivious to the existence of mountain bikers, who are usually both the most athletic and the most chill of any biking subgroup.

10-15 years ago we had the hipster city bike trend. Fixie bikes, old crap 10-speeds from the 70s. Those people managed to suck even more than their bikes. Where did they go? I don't know. I see their fixie bikes all over Craigslist now.

Those people wanted to be seen. They parked their bikes in the most conspicuous places possible. Made sure everyone on the patio saw them roll up to the bar on their old bikes. That were soon after forgotten and now litter Craigslist.
This is absolutely correct.