View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 4:28 PM
Registered Drug User

This is an excellent thread! Can it be educational, too? My wife and I will be spending a weekend in Montreal shortly, something we do at least once a year. I speak sort of half-decent French, but it's very rusty and stilted from not being in the linguistic environment enough. I don't know how to say the day-to-day things. Could anyone translate these dialogues for me?

1. Riding my bike. Come upon another "roadie" in similar gear. How would this quickie conversation go?

Me: Nice day!
Him/her: Sure is.
Me: Long ride?
Him/her: About 50 km.
Me: Nice!
Him/her: You?
Me: About the same.
Him/her: See ya (rides off into the distance at 1/3 a faster speed than me).

2. In some sort of clothing shop. It's not too busy. My wife is trying things on. I'm standing there waiting like a good husband. A shop attendant looks bored.

Me: Not very busy today.
Her: No.
Me: So are you Montreal born and raised?
Her: No, I'm from Saguenay originally.
Me: What brought you to the big city?
Her: Adventure. Excitement. An old boyfriend who is now in jail.
Me: Miss him?
Her: No, he was a jerk.
Me: He must have been if he treated you wrongly.

(This is not flirtatious. At least not in smaller city or small town Ontario when you're a guy in his forties with a wife very nearby. Also, the rather direct question in my third line is something I would tend to say when travelling, but not back at home or in nearby Toronto. You're a different person when you travel, right?)

3. In a casual restaurant. It's not too busy.

Me: So what part of Montreal do you live in?
Waiter: The Plateau.
Me: It's nice there, eh?
Waiter: I hate it. I can't wait too move back to Brossard.
Me: Really? We hear great things about the Plateau, it's so vibrant, happening...
Waiter: My neighbours are in an indie rock band. They start practicing at 3 am.
Me: Arcade Fire wannabees, are they?
Waiter: They suck. I can't sleep. I need peace and quiet. I also want to grow vegetables.
Me: Get back to the earth.
Waiter: Yeah...