View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 2:39 AM

this ***** sure feels entitled and i am sure she is pretty typical of what is going to ball things up

Neighbourhood density rankles longtime Oakridge resident

BY MEGAN STEWART, VANCOUVER COURIER DECEMBER 3, 2010

The owner of an Oakridge bed and breakfast near Cambie Street worries the character and livability of her neighbourhood will deteriorate as density increases.

Corinne Sanderson owns and operates the Beautiful B&B one block east of Cambie Street on West 40th Avenue where her white, two-story manor looks south toward the Fraser River and Mount Baker. "Ours has been a lovely neighbourhood, but recently we have been asked to accept the greatly increased density," she told the Courier. "We have done so gracefully but feel we have been more than fair in accepting more than our share of densification."

The Cambie Street corridor is intended to become increasingly dense. The city has opened four major intersections south of King Edward to case-by-case applications to build up to 12-storey buildings for residential, office and commercial use. The intersections--on Cambie at King Edward, 41st Avenue, 49th Avenue and Marine Drive--were chosen to concentrate density because the hubs include a Canada Line station.

"It's critical to make sure that incredible investment in infrastructure pays off," said Brent Toderian, the city's director of planning. "From many different perspectives, both professional and community, density around transit is the right thing to do. The discussion is how to do it well. But it's not been generally about preserving single-family houses."

For now, the areas open to special zoning applications are adjacent to the Canada Line station on Cambie Street for two blocks on either side of 41st Avenue.

The rezoned area continues on 41st Avenue two blocks east of Cambie to Manson Street across from the Oakridge Centre.

Buildings can reach 12 storeys in lots nearest the intersection.

Further from the corner, buildings can reach six storeys and developments are slated for mixed use, including retail and office space at ground level with additional office and residential space above.

Toderian said the city has received one application to build. A six-storey seniors housing complex is slated for the 600 block of 41st Ave between Manson and Ash streets.

Council approved this phase of development along the Cambie corridor in January.

At the time, NPA Coun. Suzanne Anton argued that building height not be restricted and the neighbourhood be allowed to develop into a vibrant commercial and residential focal point in South Vancouver.

She was not supported by the Vision-dominated council.

"I would like to give people's imagination the process and free reign at Oakridge," she said. "It is a major geographical centre of the city at the intersection of two major streets and it's on a height of land. I think the development could be significantly higher--if you do it right."

The owner of Omnitsky Kosher Delicatessen on Cambie Street north of 43rd Avenue welcomes the densification.

"It will change for the good. I'm a storeowner. Put more people in the area, it's better for stores," said Eppy Rappaport, who has run the destination eatery at the same location for 14 years.

"The second they started digging that tunnel, I knew there'd be a change."

Read more: http://www.vancourier.com/Neighbourh...#ixzz17CXBxfrY