View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Faux-heritage. Just wonderful.
Not if the materials used are actually high quality and equivalent to the original, which I anticipate for a project like this they would be. This kind of thing has been done all over the world to repair damaged buildings. On a small scale, we have Forbes Restoration, re-Victorianizing houses in the north end (Check out their before-and-after photos.)

You could argue that what they're doing is faux, but presumably they're basing these restorations on what the buildings were likely to look like when originally constructed, before bad renos removed detailing, etc. And even if it's just fanciful, I'd rather the north end look like that than see the structures left looking like vinyl-clad shacks.

I've posted this before, as well, but it's a pretty stunning project that proves few buildings are too far gone to save if one has the inclination. Involved lots of reconstruction of ruined brickwork and trim. And the developers weren't even required to do it--it wasn't a heritage structure and there was no mobilization to save the building. They just WANTED to do it.