View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
Last year renderings are not accurate.

Specific numbers: Quebecor will pay $65M for naming rights, $5M/year to use the amphitheater and about $40M to built diffusion and broadcasting technology infrastructure. Purchasing rights to the 86 corporate boxes have already been sold and about 4100 individual purchasing rights have been sold as well and it has been very busy since yesterday. The purchasing rights basically give you access to a presell for your seat for every show, match or event taking place in the new amphitheater. 8000 such rights are available out of the 18000 seats. These purchasing rights will inject an additional $35M of private money. There are also talks that more important donations may be announced. Anyway, thats a minimum of $140M in private money plus $5M/year out of an estimated construction cost of $326,5M plus $73,5M put aside for risks and contingencies. Hence, for now private investment represents a minimum of 35% of the total cost, excluding yearly payments. The rest of the cost will be assumed half by the city and half by the Provincial government.

These numbers are quite generous. Quebecor is only paying 65Millon if an NHL team is involved, It will be 33million initially - the 40 million spread out over X numbers of years is still only about 3-5 million. Suite sales are like Condo sales and fluctuate, I assume there are clauses in the contracts pending if an NHL team comes through and I feel most would scoop them up now as a speculative measure as the price would increase if an NHL team does come into the picture.

Taxpayers still have to pay 25 million a year to service the debt. Quebecor is putting in peanuts in the grand scheme of things while receiving the revenues. Its a sound investment on their part... taxpayers.. err... not so much.

The revenue schemes drawn up all depend on a NHL team which isn't set in stone. I am not knocking this project at all though, Hockey is a different animal and causes Canadian to do silly things . Just looking at it critically as I do the majority of Stadium Projects in North America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

I was just remarking on how it's interesting that it seems to be easier/faster to get public funds in Quebec than here in Saskatchewan even though we don't really have a record as a province for poor use of funds for sporting infrastructure and we are on much stronger financial footing (both from a deficit and debt-wise perspective). I'm not meaning those comments as a slight, just as a general observation.

If the Riders played Hockey it would be a different story.

Not knocking the Riders as IMO the Rider fan base is a nuts as a Hockey fan base in Quebec but the push from other players would be much stronger because its easier to make a business case for an NHL Rink vs a Football Stadium.

How many schemes have been hatched up to build NHL rinks and lure a NHL team to Canada specifically the GTA. Hamilton, Downsview, Markham. A NHL team is a money bag in the right instances in Canada. As much as the Riders are the crown jewel in the CFL fiscal crown their revenues streams are barley even a quarter of what an Canadian NHL teams bring in.