View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
The Midwest needs around 17 train sets
So, clearly the 88 new cars won't be able to completely replace the current equipment. I hope that the old and new equipment can be kept relatively separate, just because it will look nicer. But whatever really; the important thing is that more trains run and that more people ride them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Why the incessant need to "jazz up" a perfectly good form with obnoxious paint schemes?
I've always thought it would be great to standardize the cars that Amtrak uses, but allow the locomotives to wear unique paint schemes. The cars could be the famous 'Phase III' scheme, or even straight silver like the old streamliners:

If I were emperor of Amtrak when it was first created, I would have ordered Amtrak to buy only the passenger cars, then ordered the freight railroads to pull them around with their own locomotives and crews. The idea would be to get the freight railroads more involved in the success of Amtrak; passenger trains would be considered clients, not a pesky intruder. There would also be real corporate pride involved in getting the train to operate on-time, since everyone would know who's fault the delays were.

But I digress, yes, the dots are about as bland and uninteresting of a paint scheme that ever was created.