View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 5:46 PM

Can someone give me their thoughts on affordable housing on these projects?

I am a bit torn. On one hand, affordable housing is important but on the other hand, why is it being built in such expensive parts of Manhattan? Many people I know live in Queens, Brooklyn (less expensive parts) to conserve money until they can afford to live in Manhattan - why not build affordable housing in these parts as opposed to more expensive parts of the city?

I was reading that for a new Hell's Kitchen project, affordable rates would go from 600-3500 a month, but I question why someone who is making the minimum to qualify (IIRC, 26000 dollars) should live in Manhattan, and why they should have subsidized living when many others spend more to live farther away and in "less desirable" parts of the city.

Why not require developers to contribute to a fund which will allow for more affordable housing complexes in Queens, Brooklyn, etc? Developers can build more market rate apartments which will help to generate more tax dollars while allowing for the construction of good housing in less expensive parts of town. I am admittedly not well versed on these issues so please correct any incorrect statements or assumptions I have made.