View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 4:22 PM

Tennessean article: http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...oval/71521010/

If you purchase or rent a property in the central business district of a city, shouldn't you have expectations that at some point other developments will take place around you that might impede your views, increase the traffic and create other potential issues that are basically a nuance of living in a central business district? If you want to ensure that your view is protected, then move into a building where the developer purchased air rights to ensure that those views are always protected. If you want to sunbath don't live in the CBD where there are existing and more than likely future high rises that may block the sun from baking your skin. I'm surprise there wasn't a complaint of other people being able too look out their windows to watch them sitting around the pool.

If you elect to live in a CBD you have to accept that your surroundings will change and possibly change your views, traffic, etc. It's just part of the territory. I like that this developer is proposing a tall slender building rather than some squatty 15-20 story building that would probably take away more views and block the sun to others in a similarly sized building. I've mentioned this concept of building tall slender buildings before on this site because it's now being done quite frequently in NYC. And, it is amazing how you can still enjoy nice views, sunlight, etc. if you're in a property near them. It's just not necessary for apartment and condo buildings to take up half a city block or more. I'd rather live in a taller building with 4-6 apartments/condos per floor than to live in a shorter building with 10-20 units per floor. That's what you're seeing happen in NYC and other major cities.

I know Nashville is not NYC by any stretch of the imagination. But, if you're going to live in the core of the city, you need to accept that your environment WILL change as the CBD grows. More than likely that growth is going to be upwards and it's going to happen around you at some point.

As for the increase in traffic, current Gulch residents need to understand that the more people they have living in that area the more opportunities there will be for additional businesses to open that will serve that community. As such you create more "foot traffic" than vehicle traffic during certain hours (i.e. after work an weekends).