View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Laugh all you want, but CityCarShare charges a $10 monthly fee and a $300 refundable security deposit. That's a minimum of $120 a year plus the deposit. I'm likely to use a ZipCar no more than 3 times a YEAR. I'm a member mostly because it gives me options, not because I'm a heavy user. And ZipCar gives me "bonus miles" on my AMTRAK credit card.

I'd love to see CityCarShare offer a plan with no monthly fee for us low-usage folks, but they don't. Capitalism does. So, as usual, Capitalism satisfies the customers and wins by providing car usage the way it REALLY should be.
Agreed. Car sharing programs fill that last void for most city residents to truley live car-free. Let's face it, not everything is centralized in the city, and even jobs in the city core sometimes require visits to remote branch locations where transit does not run. Bulk purhases are another thing as well. These programs are wonderful and allow even more poeple to live without a car when they could not do it otherwise.

I'm pretty sure I-go car sharing in Chicgao has no monthly fee, just one $75 annual fee and I think its $8 /hr for rental with no charge for early morning hours. Perhaps someone who is in the system can back on that.