View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2011, 12:59 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta_Magellan View Post
CMAP’s list of capital projects specifically mentioned three tracks on the RI as a means of accommodating a rerouted SW service and express trains, although the express point seemed a bit odd to me since the triple-tracked sections would start north of 79th, leaving 35th as the only station to skip. And with the new station apparently not leaving any room for a third track, I don’t know where all of this fits in now.
My best guess is that, with the 75th Street corridor problems solved, the SWS travel times from Wrightwood to LaSalle St, currently 30 minutes or more, will drop by about 10-15 minutes (this is how long the Rock takes to get from Gresham to LaSalle St). Since the SWS has a low number of station stops, the attractiveness of this service to south suburbanites will greatly increase.

With the SWS travel times dramatically reduced, SWS can become a sort of "local" service for the mid-South Side, allowing for additional stations to be built while still preserving room in the schedule. The Rock Island trains can run express from Gresham to 35th, since they already make quite a few stops.