View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
I think it is a huge shame if Tom’s Diner (originally a White Spot designed by Armet and Davis) gets torn down, but I think at its location it is inevitable. I REALLY wish, and actually prefer, that it would be moved (sorry, but that stretch of Colfax is, always has been, and always will be a druggie invested armpit that I do my best not to have walk through any time of day, let alone at night). The developer will certainly say that it is too expensive or impossible to move the building, but money never seems to be an issue to them when there is something they want to do. I hate when people use the excuse that you don’t need to save any 50-60 year old buildings and that only 100+ year old buildings are important. Guess what? The 100+ year buildings were 50 years old at one point and we wouldn’t have them today if they were all torn down when they weren’t historic enough. Tom’s Diner is the best remaining googie diner in Denver and it will be a loss when it is gone. It wouldn’t be so bad if the building replacing it was exceptional, but it will be just another ugly, cheaply constructed pile of sh*t. I will say that Sam’s #3 on 15th Street is ABSOLUTELY worth saving no matter what someone wants to build there.

Meh -- that building just isn't congruent with good urban design. And it is located so close to transit -- that is exactly where we need more density.

I do think Toms contributes the vagrancy on that particular corner quite a bit -- both its design which doesnt really activate the street and the overall business itself which happily turns a blind eye to all the vagrancy, much of which is caused by its customers. I think activation with a good sized market rate or near-market rate apartment and ground floor retail would be great, and don't think the city would lose too much architecturally.