View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 7:08 PM
Look at me!

Yeah that's true, and that lasted all but 5-6 years. As of 1967, Toronto's TD centre dwarfed anything Montreal had and has to this day.

I think there was a time during the 60's when Montreal thought it could ascend to one of the world's best skylines, but just didn't build enough scrapers. I mean, just look at the highrises built on Rene-Levesque during the big boom of the 50's-60's and late 70's: We have a handful 30-40 floors, and yet the bulk was of 10-20 concrete slabs. Apart from the big projects backed by large financial institutions (RBC, CIBC, CN, Desjardins), promoters built shy little towers. A trend that continues today.

Montreal should have so many more towers, but our companies (those we have left) aren't pulling in their weight. Where is the Air canada tower? There isn't any, they have that 8 floor building at the airport. There is no longer a BCE tower, instead we have a suburban lowrise complexe as their alleged HQ.

TD, which has towers in almost every major Canadian city, has a 15 floor building in Old Montreal, and that's all.

Bank of Montreal, interestingly, hasn't expanded their supposed HQ since they built that crappy midrise on Place d'Armes in 1959.

In sum, ee want more skyscrapers!!