View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 4:45 AM
Crane Goddess

I checked out that NY times, WTC as it was feature. It was hella cool. But the comments section made me want to pick up a heavy staff and hit something. One person who was a schoolteacher in 1970's NYC went on a huge rant about how underfunded the schools were (Hello, the whole damn city was!!). He talked about how his students were all poor minorities who would likely never enter the towers (never go far enough in life to work there), and how they were symbols of oppression and evil capitalism, and how he was glad they were gone.

Wow, just freaking wow. So he's happy they're gone? I guess he's not shedding many tears over the loss of those people who went with them, since they were mostly white male capitalists and just suck anyhow. (sarcasm in spades)
I guess he forgot how many people (of all genders and races) were inspired by the towers, whether to visit, or to work and study hard, wanting to be professional successes and work there one day. And not just suits- those towers had a huge staff of blue collar workers who kept them alive- everything from cleaning staff to skilled maintenance workers, technicians, and operations staff. And those workers certainly were not all lily-white men.

I also couldn't believe the twits who cry foul over what's going up now- I don't mean people wishing that the Twin Towers had been rebuilt, I mean the ones crying about how the buildings are too tall and should have been made shorter, because anything tall is a target. About how building on the site should be stopped, the foundation holes for future buildings should be capped off, and the site turned into a mega memorial. Gah, I hate weak people like that!
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5