View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 5:44 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I do have to make a correction on my blanket statment regarding N. Temple.

Sorry ajiuO, but I love the Red Iquana, I think the fact that the building is such a pile of crap is what gives it part of its gritty charm. I don't think it would have made it on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives if it was in a nice location. I don't think they are worried about more business, they already have way more than they can handle, that is why the built Red Iquana 2 on S. Temple.

I think there are a few hotel/motels that could be kept and simply updated, at least initially. Honestly though, I think many of the old motels have huge potential as boutique/eclectic motels, or even condos or apartments. I could see a niche growing across the country were these old "motor lodges" become a swanky/chic place to stay, particularly those in places like N. Temple that have transit access and are in up and coming, dare I say gentrifying, neighborhoods. Imagine many of the old Motor Lodge signs dotting N. Temple along with 5-10 story buildings next to them. That would be truly a colorful, and unique neighborhood.