View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 10:57 PM
yes

Saw NYC fireworks while landing in Philly

Just had to share this here, since the rest of the world is too soul-less to look out an airplane window, let alone have any clue what they're looking at.

So I flew in to Philly yesterday from Chicago, on the 4th of July. We were coming in to our final approach right at 9:30 pm, as all towns, cities, and individuals were starting their fireworks. It was truly breathtaking and I wish I had a very good camera to capture it all. But I didn't so I just looked, enjoying it for myself.

As we made a turn over New Jersey, lining up for approach into Philadelphia International Airport, I saw, very far in the distance, a line of fireworks, 6 in total over the Hudson river, all synchronized. After checking youtube for New York's 4th of July fireworks, I can confirm that I saw them.

The lights of Manhattan were crystal clear, however I could not make out the skyline. I think during a clear day, I would have been able to.

I've had some amazing moments in flight, all with cities 90 miles apart. I was once flying into Milwaukee and saw the entire Chicago skyline from 90 miles out, and now this, New York's fireworks from Philly. Super cool!