View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 10:49 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Well there is other projects that are approved that could "start" but haven't. Opening up more land may slow some of those lots. Nonetheless the risk they take to a degree with not getting on with things in a timely manner.

I am concern the distruption this will cause getting into and out of the core. The project may actually force more out of the CBD due to the time this will take to complete and the fact the infastructure coming in and out of the core in other areas is not able to keep up with the capacity.
Toronto saw a long period of little office development in the downtown core. During that time several condominium towers sprung up in downtown Toronto. Over the past few years, office towers have started to be built again.

Although there might not be strong demand for office space in the downtown core, I believe residential development could succeed. Having several thousand people living in downtown Halifax would do wonders for the vitality of the downtown core.

I don't think that people should give up on development in downtown Halifax. Halifax can still encourage residential projects in areas such as the Cogswell Interchange.