View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Basically every block is cool and worthwhile in central Portland. It's pretty remarkable really. The narrow streets and small blocks are part of it.

As for the snow, that's impressive. Guessing most things were closed?

Up north we had bit last night as well. A lot of patches even stuck all day. But nothing like that.
MOST things were closed, and most people were smart enough to not be on the roads. Many restaurants and bars stayed open in the downtown area, but most of the people that work there are able to walk or take public transit in.

Though, when the ice storm hit the MAX and streetcar service was suspended due to ice on the tracks and power lines. My girlfriend and I were stranded downtown and walked two miles in the ice/snow back to our apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Picture postcard beautiful. I didn't realize this snow event was so heavy.
I think this was the most February snow for Portland since 1989. I can't wait for the next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
That's a helluva lot of snow for Portland. Didn't realize you guys had got so much of it. It's a nice change of scenery for the city; it certainly has that "wonderland" vibe to it. Also very nice to see the locals embracing the weather instead of hiding from it, even if it isn't something they're used to.

Yes! It was awesome seeing people ski around the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLA View Post
Looks like Portland handled that better then Atlanta.

Thursday's evening commute (the storm hit at about 2PM) was pretty brutal, but we didn't have people stranded on the freeways and abandoning their cars either. I think Atlanta might've had more ice. We didn't get any ice until Saturday/Sunday and by then, everybody was just staying home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
Shit, you're a lot braver than I was. I didn't dare take my camera out in this mess for fear of slipping and breaking something. You did, however, walk all the same places I did. Amazing we didn't run into each other, especially since it looks like you circled my apartment twice.
I met a coworker of mine at Eastside Deli on Thursday afternoon before it really started coming down, so I had to come back and see the South Park Blocks again once it was blanketed. The blocks look absolutely stunning in the snow!

I had my giant snow boots on. I only slipped on the ice on Saturday night twice, but I didn't fall. I had my camera in my bag by then though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing all these very nice pictures of Portland, Derek!

Snow makes Portland pretty. I´ve liked a lot all the urban scenes you´ve captured in your tour along the city. Very good job! I like to see the streets covered by snow in a large city like Portland. A very good moment to take pictures in the city, like you did.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.
Thank you! Hopefully we won't have to wait too long before the next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Picture perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Since my Mom moved out there seven years ago or so, this is maybe the third big snow they've had. She claims the city has rules AGAINST the use of salt on the streets. Looking at these pictures, that certainly seems true.
Portland doesn't use the traditional, corrosive salt seen in the Midwest and Northeast. They use calcium magnesium acetate.

From the City of Portland's website:
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/trans...article/319863
Road treatments
Winter road conditions are affected by a number of weather factors. Crews monitor temperatures of the air, road surfaces, and the ground, wind data, relative humidity, dew point, visibility, and precipitation. Crews also monitor specific roadway conditions all around the city.

Road treatments include application of anti-icing and de-icing chemical, sanding, plowing, limited snow removal, and street closures. Rock salt is not used because of environmental concerns. It is corrosive to our bridges and harmful to fish and wildlife in our rivers and streams.

The City owns five trucks for anti-icing and de-icing streets, bridges, and overpasses. The chemical used is calcium magnesium acetate (CMA), the most environmentally-friendly effective treatment there is. Magnesium chloride is used in temperatures below 17 degrees to increase the effectiveness of the de-icing chemical and to prevent sand from freezing in trucks.

Anti-icing is normally carried out after the evening peak traffic period or before the morning rush because frost does not usually affect the road surface until late evenings or early mornings.

Arterial streets are plowed first during a storm. Those are the major streets leading toward downtown Portland in the early morning and away from downtown in the afternoon. Non-arterial streets are plowed only when the arterial streets are cleared. Plan your route accordingly.

A sanding truck with a plow is typically allocated to the West Hills and another to the East side, to be used as necessary.

Crews use snowplows when snow begins to accumulate at a depth of one inch or more on the street surface.

Streets of grades over 14% are not able to be treated because such an operation would endanger crews and equipment.

You can read more about here if you'd like:
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/trans...article/376538

Also, keep in mind that we only have 5 deicing trucks and 10 plows for the entire city, I'm sure ODOT probably brought some in as well, but they also had plenty of other areas to deal with. They concentrate on the freeways and major arterial roads first, but with how fast the snow was falling and how cold it was, it was kind of a futile effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Wow, the idea that's a few hours north of SF is mind-boggling.

Well, if you consider a 10 hour drive a few hours......

My dad lives in the Bay Area, it sounds like you guys are finally getting some much needed rain!